Pink gums are also indicative of a healthy mouth, while a white smile is a sign of healthy teeth.
With gum expertise, you can easily reach both aesthetic and healthy gums. Considering that many teeth loss is caused by gum, we can say that gum care and treatment are important.
How to determine if you have healthy gums:
- Appearance should be pale pink.
- Surface is slightly rough, similar to orange peel.
- Gums should not bleed when brushing.
- There should be no pain, swelling or redness.
- Gums should be attached firmly and enclosing the teeth tightly.
- Gums are seamlessly joined to the teeth, with no gaps.
What are the causes of gum diseases?
- Bad oral hygiene
- Genetic factors
- Systemic diseases
- Past treatments carried out incorrectly (Poor, oversized fillings, bad prosthetics)
- Smoking and frequency of smoking
- Hormonal changed and imbalance
- Poor and irregular diet & nutrition
- Dry mouth
- Misalignment of the tooth or teeth (perplexity)
- Saliva structure
- Clenching and grinding of the teeth
What are the most common symptoms of gum disease?
- Redness, swelling, burning and discoloration of the gums
- Bleeding of the gums while brushing or at random times
- Gingival recession
- Instability of the teeth
- Reduction of the jaw bone due to gingival recession
- Bad breath and disturbance in the taste buds and overall sense of taste
- Inflammatory discharge due to infection, such as an abscess, between tooth and gums
- Itching and irritation of the gums
Which treatments are available for gum disease?
- Education on good and effective oral hygiene techniques
- Removal of dental plaque and tartar/calculus
- Where necessary, deep cleaning of the gum pockets (curettage)
- Periodontal surgery (gum surgery) if the gum disease is advanced or chronic
- Laser preparation technology treatments (gum shaping and similar treatments)
- Regenerative, reconstructive and mucogingival operations